Helping You Negotiate a Parenting Agreement With Compassion
Separating from a partner can be an emotional time, made even more difficult when children are involved.
It’s common to feel overwhelmed or anxious about negotiating a parenting agreement as it can determine how often you get to spend time with your children.
Nolan Lawyers handles every parenting arrangement and child custody case with compassion and empathy, providing support to you and your children.
We’ve helped hundreds of parents just like you negotiate an amicable parenting agreement that’s in the best interests of your family. We want you to feel confident knowing that you have a family law expert on your side.
How We've Helped People
Just Like You
Book Your Free 30-Minute Consultation With A Child Custody Lawyer
Why Choose Nolan Lawyers To Handle Your Parenting Agreement?
Choosing a family lawyer to handle your parenting agreement is a big decision. It’s important that you meet with multiple family law firms so you can feel confident that our level of service is unlike any other family lawyer in Sydney.
Just some of the reasons why we’re a great choice to help you negotiate your parenting arrangements after a separation include:
We want what’s best for you and your family and will handle your case with compassion and empathy
You will be given a detailed, customised strategy based on your specific situation, because no two situations are the same
Focus On The Best Outcome
We provide professional representation that is focussed on securing the best outcome possible for both you and your children
We provide frequent and consistent communication and will be there to support you and answer questions at each stage of the process
What To Consider When Choosing A Family Lawyer To Negotiate Your Parenting Agreement
Negotiating a parenting agreement can be a stressful exercise. It’s crucial that you’re confident your family lawyer has you and your children’s best interests in mind. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a family lawyer to handle your parenting agreement:
As parents, it’s unlikely that you’ll ever be completely out of each other’s lives. We help you to part on respectful terms by negotiating a parenting agreement with compassion and empathy. We will provide you and your family with guidance and support throughout the entire process.
The goal of any parental separation should be to minimise the impact on your children. Our team of expert family lawyers are skilled negotiators who will always pursue a collaborative solution over a court settlement, avoiding any negative impact on your children.
Parenting agreements should be established as amicably as possible. We do our best to make that happen. If not, we are committed to resolving your case as quickly as we can, to limit the financial and emotional impact on you and your family, allowing you to move on with your lives.
Your lawyer should be available when you need to speak to them, and since there’s a lot of admin involved, it’s easier if your lawyer is close by. We always make sure we respond to any questions within a reasonable time frame and we are conveniently located in the heart of the Sydney CBD.
What To Expect When Applying For A Parenting Agreement
Children have rights. They have the right to spend time with and develop meaningful relationships with both parents.
They also have the right to maintain contact with other family members, including grandparents, uncles, aunts, or any other person who is concerned for their care, welfare, and development.
In every separation involving children, the law requires all parties to act in the children’s best interests. The courts expect parents to do everything they can to resolve parenting disputes before taking the legal route.
Coming to a mutual parenting agreement – either by yourselves, through mediation, or with the help of an experienced family lawyer – is always the best option for your family.
That’s because you avoid lengthy, expensive court proceedings, which can cause unnecessary stress for everyone involved.
Before making a court application for parenting orders, you and your partner must first attend mediation to try to resolve matters yourself.
If an agreement is reached:
- If you reach an agreement, you and your ex-partner can create a parenting plan or obtain court-approved Consent Orders.
- If you don’t fully understand your parental rights, your lawyer should explain these to you in simple language.
- Next, you’ll discuss your options, and your lawyer will prepare a detailed plan outlining the next steps, estimated time frames, and costs.
- You’ll receive your finalised parenting agreement, which covers specific details unique to your family, as well as other circumstances, like holidays and special occasions.
Your family lawyer should work on formalising your parenting agreement as quickly and painlessly as possible, so that you can move forward with the next chapter of your life.
If an agreement is not reached:
- If mediation is unsuccessful, your mediator will give you a Section 60i certificate, which allows you to start legal proceedings.
- At this point, you’ll approach a family lawyer to help you reach an agreement on child custody arrangements, in or out of court (we prefer the latter).
- Your lawyer will take the time to understand your family’s unique situation and concerns.
- If you and your ex-partner cannot agree on parenting arrangements, you should contact a Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Practitioner. This is mandatory before going to the Family Court to seek Parenting Orders. There are exceptions, such as a history of violence in the family.
- Any parenting agreement must reflect the best interests of your children.
We know you’re concerned about your children’s future and we want you to feel comfortable knowing they’re getting the best attention. We’ll explain more in our free consult.
Book Your Free 30-Minute Consultation With A Child Custody Lawyer
Watch Some Of Our Clients
Talking About Their Experience
Free 30-Minute Parenting Agreement Consultation
We want to help you through this uncertain time. That’s why we offer a free 30-minute consultation where we provide you with expert advice relating to your specific family circumstances. After attending the session you will walk away with:
- Answers to all of your questions about the parenting agreement process, specific to your situation.
- A clear plan around timelines, processes, and costs.
- The confidence and knowledge that you are ready to tackle what can be a difficult and emotional time.
We genuinely want you to feel safe and supported throughout the process and can’t wait to hear from you.