Parenting Arrangements2018-12-04T10:40:07+00:00


parenting_bigIn every separation involving children, the law requires all parties to act in the children’s best interests. This means that any agreement or parenting Order must reflect what is absolutely in the best interests of the child or children including, where they live, what education they receive, who cares for them and what time they spend with different members of their family.

Children have the right to spend time with and develop a meaningful relationship with both of their parents. Children have the right to maintain contact with anyone on their side of the family including a grandparent, an uncle or an aunt or any other person who is concerned for their care, welfare and development.

Both parents have equal shared parental responsibility for their children unless a Court has determined otherwise. When parents separate, the parent with whom the child is spending time has responsibility for the day to day issues. Long term issues affecting a child’s care, welfare and development such as what health care they receive, their religious and cultural upbringing and what school they attend should not be made without consulting the other parent.

If parents cannot agree on what arrangements should be in place for their children, they should contact a Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Practitioner. Attending upon an FDR Practitioner is a mandatory requirement before commencing proceedings in the Family Court seeking parenting orders. There are some exceptions including, if there has been a history of violence in the relationship.


We take the time to learn about and understand your personal needs, to deliver the best outcome for you. Speak with our experienced team today:

Call 02 8014 5885
book a free consultation


I just wanted to thank and praise Tash for her work on my family law matter. Not an easy task given the complexities of my situation and various assets that came into the equation. Tash is very resourceful and was efficiently able to find the answers, legal precedents and advice I needed. Above all she is tenacious and thorough, and I was very happy to have her in my corner.
Tim, Sydney
Tash made buying our first home as calm and comfortable as we could have imagined. Tash walked us through the process step by step and ensured that we understood everything, making settlement a breeze.
Ben and Hayley (First Home Buyers), Sydney
With the Binding Financial Agreement now complete and signed, we wanted to thank you for your work on our behalf. We appreciated your patient communication and your efficiency in processing the agreement.
Martin, Sydney
Thank you for your time and guidance yesterday – most helpful. I know we can get a little emotionally attached to what we are doing and it’s nice to have your effective direction and input.
James, Sydney